The NIQCA helps CAAs establish a practical, sustainable, and cost-effective program of continuous quality improvement. NIQCA management support services for local CAAs include:
- Best Practice Management Standards for local CAAs and tools to conduct a comprehensive, 12-step self-assessment and improvement planning process.
- A Team of Peer Reviewers who visit CAAs as part of their self-assessment process to independently review policies and evaluate organizational strengths and weaknesses.
- A Quality Improvement Toolkit that provides planning templates and model policies to assist local CAAs in strengthening their management and governance practices.
- Resources to Support Regional CAA Planning, Collaboration, and Crisis Intervention.
Looking for Helpful Planning Resources?
Don't miss the wealth of CAA management tools available on this website. Visit our Planning Toolkit page or select from the topic list below:
Model Policies and Planning Templates
Web Links to Customized CAA Information and Assistance
National Resources for Community Action Agencies
- CAPLAW - Legal and Financial Resources for Community Action
- Community Action Partnership - National membership organization representing the interests of CAA's across the country. Offers programs and trainings to promote and improve the CAA network.
- National Association for State Community Service Programs. (NASCAP) An Association that provides information about issues related to CSBG and DOE/WAP through its publications and training opportunities.
- National Community Action Foundation (NCAF) - Advocacy and lobbyist organization for CAAs and Associations. In addition to the advocacy on behalf of a wide range of issues, NCAF provides research, data, training and conferences.
- Virtual CAP - Provides an in depth look at innovative programs and projects develped by CAAs around the U.S. Frequent updates.
NIQCA State Association Partners
NIQCA Funding Partners
William A. Hunter, Executive Director
508.380.1398 - phone
978.443.0579 - fax
In the News
New NIQCA Advisory Board Members Elected. At the August 27 , 2012 meeting of the NIQCA Advisory Board An-Ming Truxes, Lead Planning Analyst, CT. Department of Social Services and Sandra Venner, Policy Director and Fellow IA SP at the Brandeis University, Heller Graduate School were elected to serve as representatives of CT. DSS and Higher Education. An-Ming and Sandra join Board members: Joe Diamond, MASSCAP, Inc., Rhonda Evans, CAFCA, Inc., Kathleen McDermott, MOC, Inc., Reed Risteen, Blum and Shapiro, LLC., Edith Karsky, CAFCA, Inc., Gerald Bell, MA. DHCD., Leverett Wing, MA. DHCD, Pat Wilson-Pheaniaus and Paul Puzzo, Emeritus Member
"Community Action Board Training: Embracing Values and Assuring Accountability" Available to Local CAAS.
Effective CAA governance has never been more important considering the growing demands for accountability and transparency in a fast changing funding environment. Understanding Board responsibilities, funder regulations and strategies for strengthening board participation and productivity are critical elements to helping the agency maintain a capacity to provide essential services to low income children, families and adults. The NIQCA offers on-site Board training without charge to local CAAs in order to help Board members provide the leadership, support and oversight required to meet the challanges facing local CAAs today and tomorrow. For more information contact Bill Hunter, NIQCA Executive Director by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (508-380-1398).
NIQCA and Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) Collaborate in Designing an Integrated CAA/CSBG Monitoring and Best Practices Assessment Tool and Protocol
In an effort to promote excellence in the management and governance of CAAs in Massachusetts, DHCD and NIQCA staff have developed a pilot assessment tool and protocol that integrates CSBG compliance monitoring and NIQCA best practices assessment into a streamlined, uniform process that is undertaken once every 3 years.
NIQCA Develops Generic Non-Profit Agency Best Practice Assessment Tool
The NIQCA has developed a standardized, generic Assessment Tool for smaller nonprofit agencies to use to assess and strengthen management and governance policies and practices. For information, contact William Hunter, NIQCA Executive Director (508-380-1398 or email@example.com).